Friday, March 18, 2005

Strategic visioning and scenario planning

Welcome to my life these days. I've gotten the opportunity through work lately to try to pull myself from the Must Do Now pile enough to condsider What Can Be. Here are a few of the questions that I'm pondering for an upcoming meeting:

"What kind of future do you envision for health and health care for the residents of Colorado?"
"What should the philanthropic mission be?"
"What would be an effective use of your grant dollars, in your view?"

I guess I just said that this is an opportunity. And it is. But it's quite a weighty opportunity, a responsibility really. Sometimes I wonder whether I am qualified to have an opinion on these matters at all. Do you feel more comfortable with someone like me answering these questions, or with someone with a full career's worth of health policy knowledge? Do you like the fact that there is a mix of people answering the questions together? I think I take comfort in that. But I can't get too comfortable because then I start thinking about whether we have enough people answering the questions.

In the time that I didn't spend thinking about these "visions", I thought about my tuna sandwich trashed mouth and wished I had a piece of Original flavor Trident. I pondered the vacation I've been pondering for months...should it be in Costa Rica, Oaxaca or the Florida Keys? Should I ask the auditor out for drinks? After all, she's about my age and we bonded over the lack of basketball opportunities for women after college. Would it be better as a first impression to beat my boyfriend's dad in a basketball pool, to tie or to lose? If I could paint a picture at this moment, what would be my subject?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would paint a picture of a pony. I like ponies.

March 30, 2005 at 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home