Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Racing Katherine Peck

I'm the youngest of my colleagues by ten years. The next oldest is my boss and then most folks are at least ten years older than her. I say this only to make the point that most people I know in professional circles are slightly intimidating to me. They have big brains full of experience. Katherine Peck gets the highest rating on the Intimidation Scale - five stars for brilliance (she used to be a lawyer and now is the VP of Programs for one of CO's most respected foundations), five stars for presence (you know if she's at a meeting, even if she doesn't speak), five stars for respect (everyone knows her and defers to her judgment) and five stars for appearance (always polished in a suit, tall and built like a football player). I feel comfortable speaking to her enough to say 'hello' and this is only because I've seen her comfort a baby before so I know she has a soft, compassionate side.

I recently went to a professional association meeting - it was my turn to drive to this particular location about a 30 min freeway drive from my office. Katherine Peck's office is in my building. One of Katherine Peck's co-workers works with me on a project and she rode with me to the meeting. When we arrived, Katherine Peck pulled up next to us in her shiny black BMW apparently having left the office significantly after us. I learned she also goes by "Ol' Lead Foot." When leaving, I just so happened to gaze across my spunky little Hyundai into the adjacent Beemer and received a challenge. Katherine Peck with raised eyebrow and subtle nod. It was on. It was neck and neck on I-25 - changing lanes, blocking, dodging. I only lost her at the exit ramp with a poor lane choice.

I wasn't quite sure Katherine Peck even knew we were racing...until the next association meeting last week. Katherine Peck sauntered up to my table (after I had stuttered hello at the beverage table) and said to big-eyed me, "I'll give you driving lessons anytime." Then she smiled! Ohmigoodness. Then a parade of her co-workers came and introduced themselves, laughing, wanting to meet the legendary racing girl. I'm a lunchroom LEGEND! This is quite possibly one of my greatest achievements to date. Katherine Peck, look out. I'm on your heels.

2 Comments:

Blogger SeaPea said...

Inquiring minds want to know if you will, in fact, take Ms. Peck up on her offer of driving lessons? Or perhaps challenge her to another race, on your turf next time, through the hairpin turns and road kill hazards of a single-lane, dirt road in the Black Hills?

January 11, 2005 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Katherine Von Bora said...

We've always known you as worthy of legend! Hope this is the first of many. ; )

January 13, 2005 at 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home