Thursday, January 06, 2005

Fear of Skiing

I read an article a few years ago that has provided me with some sustaining comfort. It told of genetic differences in peoples' adrenaline. Some people have positive, exhilirating adrenaline in extreme circumstances. Some people have heart-wrenching, horrific adrenaline in the same circumstances. I fall in the latter category. I've never liked rollercoasters and the thought of bungee jumping makes my palms drip. It's okay, right? My body's just not designed to enjoy that kind of thing? Now I live in Colorado. I've had several friends sit me down and explain the responsibility that I carry with this residency. You see, people around the world wish they could live in Colorado and ski every day. Therefore, I must ski or I'm spitting in the face of humanity's dreams. I've never been one to spit in anyone's face, let alone humanity's dreams, so I've dedicated the winter of '05 to this endeavor. I suppose it doesn't help that my brother broke his arm in half skiing a few years ago. And it's hard for me to get visions of running into trees or small, helpless children out of my head. Plus I have so far to fall. I've had two days of lessons and come Saturday I'm officially on my own. I have all the gear I need...several things old and borrowed and one item new and blue (my skiis). Now I'm just trying to get some nerve and hoping that I get the grace to enjoy my time in the postcard-perfect winter mountains.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home